Re: What is joy

To: "SPITFIRES" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is joy
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:13:41 +0100
Aviators,

Two things,

First I won't here a word said againsed the 1493 Spitfire engin, it's the
best one of the lot.  Although the MkIII had 4 more bhp it also had 2 more
seconds on the 0-60.   The stock UK 1500 it in my opinion the best for
tuning because of the longer stroke.  Granted it eats big ends like they
were going out of fasion, but how hard are they to chainge.  It does how
ever need the 'J' type, and no 1500 should  have been made with out it.
Especialy good is the feeling when your overtaking, you have 68 in 3rd, and
you flick the over drive switch and get a good shove in the back, as you
cary on up to 80.  It also needs an oil cooler, with thermostat.  I like the
fact I can slowly count the seconds, and by the time I have got to 12 I'm
doing 60.

As for the high performace exhausts, arround here all the boy races drive
there Nova's or XR2s with cherry bomb silencers on, and to be frank some
spitfires sound the same with that on.  I like the high performance systems,
which dont give too much roar, but a real low resonance which you feel in
the chest.

The best thing is, you can work on your suntan in a traffic jam.  Others
mabe bakeing, or beeing dryed out by the air conditioning, but your getting
a Tan (or burnt:-)

Leads me to one question, where does the noise come from in your Spitfire,
when I slowly rev the engin to 4500 rpm, no load I just get the normal
wizzzy sound.  But foot down and the engin it's self seems to roar,
induction noise I think but it's not nice, so I want rid of it!

James