Re: Putting away the toy for the winter

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Putting away the toy for the winter
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:51:43 -0700
> we have earthquakes here in florida?  screw that, I'm moving.

Every state has seismic activity-except one of the Dakotas, (I think it is).
Not all seismic activity is felt. We have 100s of quakes here
everyday-mostly 1, 2 and 3 points in magnitude. You don't feel them all.
There's no escaping the movement of the Earth. Wonderful, isn't it?

> and I can't let you slander my state like that without a reply. (it may
> have its problems, but only _we_ can say that!)  don't y'all have the
> rainy season in california?  and hollywood?  and carb?  and los angleles?
> and...

We have a rainy season-but it's not long. We just don't have 80 and 90%
humidity! (How there can be 98% humidity with out rain I'll never
understand!) In other words-we use our a/c for keeping cool-not for drying
out! Heck-lots of us don't even have a/c-who needs it?

btw-what is "carb"?

> oh, and y'all can't say "y'all" without sounding silly ;-).

I used to work with a woman who had the thickest southern accent. I asked
her where she was from. Michigan! I asked her how long she'd been in
California-for 40 or 50 years-since she was 10 years old! I asked her if
she'd ever been to the south. No! A-mazing!

If I'm around people with the accent, I pick it up in about 10-15
minutes-and it's quite convincing. So, yes-I can say "y'all" (and New
Orleans) quite well and properly and not sound silly. On the other hand, my
aunt lives outside Orlando-hasn't lived in upstate New York in 30 years or
more-but her accent gets thicker and thicker. But, every once in a while a
"Y'all" slips in there! Augh! It hurts to hear her!

Stay dry, Scott-

Laura G.