Re: Putting away the toy for the winter

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Putting away the toy for the winter
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
> We have a rainy season-but it's not long. We just don't have 80 and 90%
> humidity! (How there can be 98% humidity with out rain I'll never
> understand!) In other words-we use our a/c for keeping cool-not for drying
> out! Heck-lots of us don't even have a/c-who needs it?

whatever.  it's not like I'm jealous or anything... ;-)

> btw-what is "carb"?

carb is california air resources board--the reason y'all get so much
hassle with cars and motorcycles and gas, etc.

> If I'm around people with the accent, I pick it up in about 10-15
> minutes-and it's quite convincing. So, yes-I can say "y'all" (and New
> Orleans) quite well and properly and not sound silly.

yeah, but does it _feel_ authentic?  can you eat grits and like them?
with cheese?  how 'bout sweet tea?

> On the other hand, my
> aunt lives outside Orlando-hasn't lived in upstate New York in 30 years or
> more-but her accent gets thicker and thicker. But, every once in a while a
> "Y'all" slips in there! Augh! It hurts to hear her!

ah, orlando isn't really part of florida.  florida is
daytona-gainesville-new port ritchey and north.  south of that is _south_
florida.  an okay place to visit (if you have a gun) but I wouldn't want
to live there.  south florida would be more accurately named 'southern new
york city' or 'lower ohio', or the like.  so don't blame your aunt,
anybody moving there learns to say "noo yawk cita" in only a few months.
or they shoot you.

> Stay dry, Scott-

hey, man, it only rains for an hour or so every day.  we go splash around!
and there's been a drought lately, so no rain.  woo-hoo, 'cept I had to go
buy a _sprinkler_ for the lawn.