Re: Reasonable price for Spitfire Top install?

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Reasonable price for Spitfire Top install?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:03:14 -0400 ()
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Kevin Rhodes wrote:

> I am in need of a new top for my 77ish Spitfire. I have been quoted $300
> labor only from a place in NH - this seems kind of steep to me! While I am
> not sure it is a project I want to do myself, it just does not seem THAT
> complicated an operation for someone who does it for a living. Does $300
> seem reasonable?

Could be reasonable, could be very high. If it's an AMCO top with the rear
snaps preinstalled, then fitting the top to the header rail (really the
only remaining task) shouldn't take more than 1-1.5 hours, give or take.
If it's a Robbins top, where the installer gets to put on ALL the snaps,
then it probably is closer to 4+ hours, give or take. (Someone who has
done a number of tops and is familiar with Spitfires could probably cut
the total time down somewhat.)

I've installed both kinds and would recommend either without hesitation.

--Andy