RE: Blacked-out rear valence

To: "'Doug Braun'" <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Blacked-out rear valence
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:51:23 -0400
Doug,

Just finished getting caught up on mail after being gone
for two days.

To answer your question and replies from others:

Although the brochure shows the rear panel being painted
black, I have never been able to find any real evidence that
the company actually painted all the cars this way! I have
seen original '72s with and without the black panel. BTW,
it is done using Matte black, not flat black. Subtle but
distinct difference. My Magenta Spit had the panel painted
black (by me) in 1975/6 (sorry, don't remember the exact
day/month/year). It is still painted thusly. I painted the
visible edge of the trunk/boot lid as well, as I thought
it would look rather odd otherwise. IMHO, it really sets
off the rear of the car, giving it the same appearance as
the Stag.

The trim strips were chrome until 1976, at which time they
were changed to the 'black' chrome used until the end of
production. I don't feel that the latter cars look as good
with the rear panel painted black, as the black chrome
blends in too well with the panel.

The black painted rear panel may have been something that
was done by the dealer, or the factory may have painted
them according to the vehicle color. Keep in mind that many
things that appeared in the brochures were dealer installed,
such as the side stripes and wheel beauty/trim rings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell