Re: Trans and clutch

To: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Trans and clutch
From: "Brad Kahler" <bkahler@jacads.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:19:35 -1000
Hi Mike,

> Anyone know what the differences are between the early three rail
> transmissions (Mk 1,2,3) and the later three rail ones(1971 to 1974)?  I
> know that the ratio of first gear is slightly different (3.75 compared to
> 3.50) and that first gear has a syncro.  I've also heard that the rear
> flange has a larger bolt pattern.  Any other differences? If I change the
> rear flange to an earlier one, can I use it in a Mk 1 car? Anything else
> need to be changed?

The differences you mentioned are pretty much it.  Last summer I pulled the
early 3-rail tranny out of mk1 spitfire and installed a mkIV 3-rail tranny and
even installed the early D-type Overdrive on it.  Fit right into the car no
problems.

I believe the guy that did the work mentioned that the OD adapter plate that
bolts between the tranny and the OD had to have a notch or hole drilled in it
but nothing major and nothing he wasn't able to over come.

I'm quite please with having 1st gear syncroed now.  Well worth the effort in
my opinion.

> Also, is it worth changing to the diaphragm type pressure plate and get rid
> of the old coil spring style?  Do they use the same flywheel? Anyother
> parts need to change as well?

I can't say that its worth it or not.  The mk2 flywheel is different than the
mk1
flywheel.  The spring clutch has a different bolt pattern than the diaphragm
clutch.   I inadvertantly ended up using a mk2 flywheel which required the
use of the diaphragm clutch.

The diaphragm clutch required the use of a slightly larger bore slave cylinder.
If you go with the diaphragm clutch you will need to change the throwout
bearing, throwout bearing carrier assembly, slave cylinder and pushrod and
I think also the clutch fork arm.

I found out the hardway about the TO bearing, carrier and misc because I
had installed the new diaphragm clutch with the mk2 flywheel but tried to
use all of the old TO bearing hardware.  Needless to say, I couldn't get the
clutch to move due to the change in specs on these parts.

Hope this helps.

Brad

My Triumph Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/12/99)
My Dodge Web Site Http://www.141.com/dodge (updated 9/17/99)

(Errors have been made, Others will be blamed.....)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L (now camber compensated!)
1962 TR4 CT288L
1962 TR3B TCF1564L
1959 TR3A parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108 being restored
1953 Mayflower - TT29490LDL