Re: Trans and clutch

To: MikeC <mikech@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Trans and clutch
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:29:55 -0400
MikeC wrote:

> Anyone know what the differences are between the early three rail
> transmissions (Mk 1,2,3) and the later three rail ones(1971 to 1974)?  I
> know that the ratio of first gear is slightly different (3.75 compared to
> 3.50) and that first gear has a syncro.  I've also heard that the rear
> flange has a larger bolt pattern.  Any other differences? If I change the
> rear flange to an earlier one, can I use it in a Mk 1 car? Anything else
> need to be changed?
>
> Also, is it worth changing to the diaphragm type pressure plate and get rid
> of the old coil spring style?  Do they use the same flywheel? Anyother parts
> need to change as well?
> TIA
> MikeC
 just change the flange on the driveshaft. the later full synchro box
also has some bearings ins tead of bushings, different reverse idler
gear and a different release bearing sleeve.  use the diagphram clutch
go to a later flywheel and clutch and you are in business.  yes, we have
all these parts. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive