Oil Leak

To: "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:33:27 -0500
Today was a red letter day !

After 4 years of working on my Spit I drove around my town LEGAL !
I got my Tags, Insurance and Registration late Friday in the middle of a
thunderstorm.

Saturday SUCKED for weather, rain and cold.
Today,   mid 70's, I drove over 150 miles, not going anywhere, went over the
same area a couple of times, I drove to the stupid gas station three times !

The reason ?

My first stop, someone said  "Nice Car" !

All those nights, all those days, the frustration of trying to figure out
Lucas wiring all were put into that one stranger saying "nice car" !

But I have a problem, not a big one on the whole scheme of things but a
serious problem

I have a major oil leak on the carb side of the engine.
Even after a rebuild the engine leaked two small puddles right in front of
the cross member.
After my drive today this stuff has blown all the way back to the firewall.
I think it's coming from the timing chain cover.
There are three SCREWS on this side, I am thinking that I don't have a good
seal here.

My questions is, has anyone through drilled these three "Screws" and through
bolted them ?

I can wipe oil everyday if needed just to be able to boogey down the road !

All the work, all the busted knuckles, all the questions to this list, have
been erased by that one fellow saying "nice car"