Oil Leak

To: "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:02:53 -0500
Ok people, Help me with this !

Drivers side on my 71 Mark IV.
There are three SCREWs on this side that hold the timing chain cover on,
There is one dead center of the motor mount.
When I rev the engine to 3 to 4 k, it pumps oil out. I removed the screw and
replaced the screw with a smaller OD bolt and nut.
It slowed the oil down a little but it still is pumping out. I don't
understand how this sucker can do it unless the gasket is not seated.
The engine has had a complete rebuild with new gaskets etc. The engine has
less that 500 miles on it. I thought about kicking the mechanics ass but
it's my ass !

Has anyone ever drilled out the threads on the front plate and used nuts and
bolts in place of the three screws ?

They are not set in aluminum, they are threaded in the front plate.

I can drive the car put after I need about a half hour to wipe up the oil on
the engine and frame.

Craig Smith
36 Pelham Ridge Drive
Greenville, SC 29615