Re: Fwd: Lights on - Tacho off!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Lights on - Tacho off!
From: "Nicholas S Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:08:48 -0700
I'm late following this up but...had what sounds like the same problem
several years ago. I wiggled the wires and basically ignored it. With
hindsight, I caution against that particular strategy. The fusebox melted,
and needed to be replaced.
This is a major pain, because:
-part of the front wiring harness has to be disconnected, fed back into the
cabin, then drawn back out through the hole in the new fuse box,
-the connections/wires on the back of the box all have to be placed in the
new box,
-the tongues on the end of the wires are the bits that hold the fuses in
securely, and either have to be replaced, or re-bent in the new fusebox, or
you'll have the same problem all over again
-an ounce of prevention is worth hours of cure.

This is from memory and applies to a 1500, but the memory is quite vivid...
Regards,

Nick Moseley

snip
>This must be a VERY common problem.  Although I have a mechanical tacho, I
find that all lights in the rear of the car sometimes go out.  Wiggling the
bundle of wiring that appears to come from the inboard side of the fuse box
seems to restore light again for a time.