Re: master cylinder exchange

To: "James F. Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Subject: Re: master cylinder exchange
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@vol.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:44:42 -0400
> I would like a
> little stronger braking response and was wondering if anyone has converted
> their spits braking system to something with a little larger primary in an
> effort to increase breaking action.  I was wondering if this would be
prudent
> to increase braking forces, or would it just act to decrease the pedal
> displacement necessary to stop, thereby decreasing the ability to modulate
> braking forces?

The only way to increase braking force is to get a SMALLER, not larger m/c.
If you get a larger one, the required pedal pressure to produce the same
braking force will increase. A larger m/c will also produce less feel and
make modulating the brakes harder. The best way to get better brakes is to
replace the pads with performance pads or go to a larger braking system like
the GT6. There is also aftermarket stuff, but we're talking serious money.

Tom Shirley - Chattanooga, TN
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/