RE: Gearbox filler plug?

To: "Gary Tash" <tashg@bmi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox filler plug?
From: "Michael Burdick" <burdick@abacus.mc.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:53:56 -0400
Gary Tash wrote:

> My only problem with the filler plug is finding a wrench that I
> can get on in
> the small space available.  That and the complicating issue that
> the square
> head is more round than square.  Has anyone found a replacement with a
> standard hex head?  That alone would make it a lot easier, for me anyway.

You can get 8-point sockets that will fit a square plug - I got some from
Sears and better auto parts stores probably would have them too.  They
can even work on plugs that have been rounded off to a certain extent.
Anyway, once you get the rounded plug out and replace it with a new
plug, you will never have to worry about rounding it off again with if you
use an 8-point socket on it.

I cut a 1" hole in my transmission cover adjacent to the plug.  With the
8 point socket and a 6" extension, I can easily remove and replace the
plug from the passenger footwell.  Filling is a little more challenging, but
not too bad - I use a 10 or 12" length of tubing snaked through the
access hole and into the filler hole.  I plug the access hole when not in
use with a rubber blanking plug as used in various parts of the body to
plug drain holes and the like.  I got this tip from Chris Kantarjiev from
one of the Lists some time back and it works great.

Hope this helps,
Mike Burdick
Durham NC