Front end and Steering

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front end and Steering
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:04:29 -0700
I am starting to look at the front end (new bushings) and the steering.
I notice two 'symptoms'
which raise some questions for me.  Front end is on stands, engine bay
empty, suspension and steering still assembled with the exception that
the steering column is disconnected.  The wheels and tires are on the
car.

1.  When I move the rack and pinion through its range of motion by
turning the road wheel directly  I notice a detent in the middle or
straight ahead position.  It takes some extra effort to move the wheel
in either direction from straight ahead.   I had also begun to notice
this while driving.  Is this a reparable problem? or is total
replacement indicated?

2.  When I grasp the road wheel at the top and push toward the engine
bay there is a small but noticeable movement in and out, it is greater
on the passenger side.  What should I be looking for as I disassemble
the wheels, etc.?

-Gary