Re: Front end and Steering

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front end and Steering
From: "gfrogley" <gfrogley@netscapeonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:35:34 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
To: spitfires@autox.team.net <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Date: 29 April 2000 22:15
Subject: Front end and Steering

>I am starting to look at the front end (new bushings) and the steering.
>I notice two 'symptoms'
>which raise some questions for me.  Front end is on stands, engine bay
>empty, suspension and steering still assembled with the exception that
>the steering column is disconnected.  The wheels and tires are on the
>car.

 <snip>

>2.  When I grasp the road wheel at the top and push toward the engine
>bay there is a small but noticeable movement in and out, it is greater
>on the passenger side.  What should I be looking for as I disassemble
>the wheels, etc.?
>
>-Gary

The wheel bearings are loose.  You will need to remove the wheel, remove the
cap from the centre of the hub, remove the locking thing and tighten
(fingers only)
the nut up.  Now turn it ONE FLAT back and re-lock the nut.  I can look up
the precise way of doing it from the Haynes manual, but that's outside in an
oily
garage!  Let me know if you want a 'copy' ;-)

Graham