Re: Front end and Steering

To: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front end and Steering
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net> wrote:
> 1.  When I move the rack and pinion through its
> range of motion by
> turning the road wheel directly  I notice a detent
> in the middle or
> straight ahead position.  It takes some extra effort
> to move the wheel
> in either direction from straight ahead.   I had
> also begun to notice
> this while driving.  Is this a reparable problem? or
> is total
> replacement indicated?

Sounds like contamination on the rack, as wear would
make it looser, not tighter. Are the gaiters (bellows)
in good shape, no cracks, etc? A new set is pretty
cheap. But at least some diasassembly and inspection
seems called for. Next to brakes, steering is sacred!

> 2.  When I grasp the road wheel at the top and push
> toward the engine
> bay there is a small but noticeable movement in and
> out, it is greater
> on the passenger side.  What should I be looking for
> as I disassemble
> the wheels, etc.?

Do you get the same play when you rock the tire side
to side? Could also be upper ball joints, or control
arm bushings. Ball joints are easy to replace, just
tricky breaking loose the tapered studs from the
upright. I loosened the stud nut, then managed to
apply jacking pressure from underneath to the stud. I
used a drift (1" dia x 6" long steel rod) placing the
end right against the top of the upright where it
curves around to meet the ball joint stud. A sharp
hammer blow released the tapered stud.

Whatever the problem you discover, good luck with the
project.

Carter