Re: Fuel

To: "mark holbrook" <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel
From: "Stephen Hall" <shall@fastpointcom.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:52:24 -0400
That brings up a good point, actually. There are two methods for
calculating the Octane rating of gasoline, as shown in the following
article I found on an MG website:

"In Britain, the Research Octane Number (RON) is used to indicate a
fuel's octane. This number is derived from tests on an engine running
at a constant speed of 1500 r.p.m., conditions that do not closely
relate to those found in real situations. In order to address this
disconnect with reality, the Motor Octane Number (MON) system was
developed using a tougher test carried out at higher engine speed and
temperature. In the US and Canada the two systems coexisted for a
while -- causing much confusion. To resolve the matter the U.S. Cost
of Living Council (CLC) index, better known as. Anti-Knock Index
(AKI),  was introduced and is simply the arithmetical average of RON
and MON; so AKI = (RON + MON)/2 and is the number now familiar to
motorists in the USA and Canada. Yet another measure may sometimes be
referenced: Road Octane Number (RdON).This is considered the best
predictor of octane but it is determined by running a vehicle on the
road or using a chassis dynamometer, and it is too dependent on the
actual engine under test. RdON is so close to AKI that they are often
used interchangeably. There is no direct correlation between RON and
MON, different formulations for fuels with the same RON number might
well produce different MON's. You can make a rough determination,
however: for the high octane fuels we are concerned with, the
difference between RON and MON, or the "sensitivity" as it is known,
is about 10. If you know the AKI therefore you can add or subtract 5
to determine the approximate RON or MON respectively. "

Cheers-

Steve Hall