Re: Fuel

To: shall@fastpointcom.com, owner-spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Fuel
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:52:23 EDT

<snip>
<<That brings up a good point, actually. There are two methods for
calculating the Octane rating of gasoline, as shown in the following
article I found on an MG website:

"In Britain, (RON) is used to indicate a
fuel's octane. This number is derived from tests on an engine running
at a constant speed of 1500 r.p.m., conditions that do not closely
relate to those found in real situations.  Motor Octane Number (MON) system
was developed using a tougher test carried out at higher engine speed and
temperature.>>

Here in the U.S., it's a little bit different.  The ResearchNumber (RON) was
determined by calculating what it should be from the formulation.  The Motor
Number (MON) was determined by using a special test engine that had a
variable compression ratio (wish my vehicles had this feature) and would be
run with the CR increasing until the fuel knocked, and depending on what
ratio they were able to increase it to determined the rating (we had to learn
this in one of my classes).  Since the tests would have a wide descrepancy
between the two epending on various factors, the industry decided to average
the two to eliminate a lot of confusion.

        Michael(who has spent too much time learning too many aspects of
automotive technology)