Re: Fuel

To: <OHFASTONE@aol.com>, <owner-spitfires@autox.team.net>, <HD50EL@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:13:19 -0600
All of the examples you cited require an extremely high compression ratio,
something our Spitfires do not have. Diesels ~ 20:1 and extreme race
engines, pumped with 30 lbs of boost.  There is a balance required,  too
slow a burn and the combustion process is not complete when the piston gets
to the bottom of the power stroke (wasted energy),  too fast of a burn and
the result is engine damage (detonation).  The best is to have a controlled
burn process that is completed right before the piston gets to the bottom of
the power stroke.  High compression engines require a slower burning fuel
(high octane) so they do not detonate and do sever engine damage.  Low
compression engine need a faster burning fuel to achieve max power (to a
point).  Low compression engines can run on high octane fuel but the only
benefit is a lighter wallet (I guess thats less weight in the car to pull
around - faster acceleration).
MikeC