Re: Fuel

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:57:55 -0400
I was always under the assumption that if it cost more, it must be better
for the car (after all...it's SUPER UNLEADED PREMIUM! Doesn't that sound
better for your car than Regular?)
Anyhow. Because Octane is a rating (in the US...Anti-knock index RON+MON/2
that you always see on the pump) is a way of calculating the autoignition
characteristics of the fuel ("I'll never admit to having Premature
Ignition..that girl was lying!").

Because fuel can be ignited by more than just the spark of a spark plug,
cars with higher compression and/or hotter running engines will be affected
by the auto-combustion of lower octane fuels.

Also note that if your car is not running up to snuff, e.g. extreame carbon
deposits can effectively reduce combustion chamber size, and retain heat
more than a clean engine making the car more susceptible to the premature
ignition/knocking.

And of course, what can cause carbon desposit build-up in your engine?
Running too high of an octane fuel!

Will switching back to a lower octane get rid of the carbon that has been
built-up in your engine? No.  What will? Rebuilding your engine. (blah!)

For more information on GASOLINE than you ever wanted to know:
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/gasoline_faq.txt

Section 6 is the most relevent to Octane calculations.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland