Re: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, bill.birney@bigpond.com,
Subject: Re: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 06:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
Yah,
The last mod we did on our Spit racecar was to remove
the CC. The small diameter race tires (19.5" dia I
believe), lowered rear end with lots of neg camber,
and very stiff rear spring eliminated the need for it.

When the rear was jacked off the ground, the wheels
would only droop to about zero camber.
But oh my, was it a stiff ride. Not acceptable for
street use.

Carter

--- Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us> wrote:
> I've not seen a street Spitfire that didn't have the
> shock absorber actually limiting the amount of droop
> in the rear suspension, with the spring still
> pushing down.  It's to be expected on a street car,
> where you want a softer ride.  The softer spring
> needing more compression travel to build up
> sufficient force to hold the car up at ride height.
> If a soft street spring was dearched sufficiently to
> no longer push the rear wheels down to extreme
> positive camber, the car would collapse to the
> pavement  when sitting on its tires.  A race car
> with an extremely stiff spring could well hold the
> wheels up away from positive camber in a relaxed
> state, but the ride would be harsh for daily
> driving.

> Just some random comments:
>
> >The SS works by decreasing the rear roll stiffness,
> and by limiting the wheel travel on droop.

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com