Re: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: "Michael Nugent" <nugentmd@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: "Bill Birney" <bill.birney@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:57:59 +1000
Hello all listers.

> RE: . . . an anti sway bar can make jacking or wheel tuck worse. . . .
>
> I disagree.

Sorry, got to jump in here (I'm a bit of a lurker normally, but this is
something I most definitely know about).

DO NOT use a anti-roll bar on the back of a Spitfire!

To control 'tuck in' you need a way to stop the two wheels acting in
concert, the anti roll bar does the opposed, stops the suspension acting in
opposite directions. So when one wheel tries to drop, the other is acted on
to follow, ie as one wheel tucks under it will actually apply a force to
move the other wheel in the same direction.

You can use a modification of a anti-roll bar however, here we call them a Z
bar (I think it's probably pretty common terminoology). They are just a
anitroll bar shaped as a Z (obviously) rather than a rather square U!

They are mounted so that one corner of the Z is ahead of the axle line, and
one behind. Now, when one whell tries to tuck under, it actually applies a
force on the other to whell to push it up into the wheel arch, against the
spring. Newtons laws then take over, a return force against tuck in is
applied to the original wheel, and so tuck in is reduced.

Stiffens the hell out of the rear suspension though, all the aftermarket
changes tend to.

That's all, I'll go back to my corner no and be quiet.

Bill Birney
Melbourne, Australia
'67 Spitfire MkII
'70 GT6+ (RHD)