Re: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: Bill Birney <bill.birney@bigpond.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
Just some random comments:

> The swing spring counteracts this by effectively
> lowering the roll centre of
> the rear suspension.

The roll center is set by the effective pivot points,
ie, the axle U-joints. This is not affected by the
swing spring at all. The SS works by decreasing the
rear roll stiffness, and by limiting the wheel travel
on droop.

> > Z-Bars were declared illegal by the SCCA back in
> the 60's.

I was in SCCA racing for 15 years (in the 60's), and
never heard of this. Many of my competitiors were
using Z-bars, and never failed tech inspection because
of it.

> >  but in theory they should be very effective.  But
> to do their job they
> need to be preloaded with a fairly > significant
> > amount of force.  That makes their installation
> somewhat precarious.

Neither Z-bars or CC *must* be preloaded. You *can*
preload them to achieve certain results. I used to
change the ride height/rear camber on my racing Spit
by changing the CC preload. This was a convenient way
to balance the car, easier and faster than changing
front wheel camber with shims.

IMHO, YMMV

Carter

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!