Re: Dash restoration

To: weberjm@teleport.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash restoration
From: "dayton carpenter" <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:57:14 PDT
I usually use a chemical stripper and a putty knife to remove the old
varnish. Some residual varnish may need some light sanding to remove.

You should sand only in the direction of the grain, therefore don’t use an
orbital sander.  I usually sand mine up to 320.  Then I apply about 10 coats
of marine spar varnish using a Sharpe detail spray gun.  I sand between
coats and use a tack cloth to remove any particles.

In the near future will be making solid wood dashes here in China a fraction
of the cost of having it done in the US.  Presently I am making leather seat
covers for the Spitfires out of Italian leather for about the cost of vinyl
covers.  Next I will be entire upholstery kits in leather for less the cost
of vinyl. So let me know when you start the rest of your interior work.

Good luck on your project.

Dayton J. Carpenter, Esq.
President of International Business and Legal Affairs
Foundsoft Science & Technology Group
12 F Office Plaza World Trade Centre Zhejiang
15 Shuguang Road
Hangzhou,  Zhejiang Province  310007
China

Tele:  86-571-795-0135 ext 8011