Re: Engine type

To: "Spitrire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine type
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:45:40 +0100
Hi Nolan
The Herald used the same engine progressions as the Spitfire,with the
exception of a milder cam and single carb the 1300 FWD used a Herald engine
with a modified crank nose to carry the ring gear, and then the Spitfire
engine as the TC varient, the Toledo used the same engine as the Herald for
a year or two then the crank was replaced with the later 1300 crank with the
same sized journals as the 1500 as a rationalisation step, this is
definitely a weaker engine than the early engine as despite the increased
journals the bottom end rattle when audible during normal running will need
a crank grind, when the early engine would not. The 1500 engine found it's
way into the 1500 FWD as a single carbed version, then this was replaced
with the 1500TC which was RWD with 2 HS2's, then to the Dolomite 1500 which
was basically the same with minor trim detail changes and 2 HS4's, both
versions had a detuned cam until the late 70's early 80's when the Dolomite
got the Spit cam, increasing the performance slightly.

Graham.

> Nolan,
>
> The engine that ended up in the Spitfire started life fitted to the
Standard 8,