Re: Engine type

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Engine type
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:05:44 -0400
Much of the specific information in the various books I've got talk about types
of engines, presumably in the same way we'd talk about small bock Fords, or
slant sixes or hemi's.  Now I can follow along with regards to those american
engines, because I grew up with them and understand their families and their
history of evolution.  But I don't know it with the british engines, so I can't
do it for the Triumph 1500.  It's doubly hard since much of what was writen and
published by Vizard in particular dates from before the 1500.  I know it's a
stroked out 1300, but that's all I know of it's evolutionary history, or
similarity to other engines.

So if I  were to read about a trick for a Ford 289, I know I could probably
apply it to a 302 as well, but certainly not to a 283 or an Iron Duke.  But I
can't do that with the Triumph 1500 engine because I don't know if a ______ is
essentially the same or an earlier model then the 1500.

But, learning it derives in some fashion from the Standard Eight 803 does help.

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 06/14 12:17 PM >>>
The 1500 engine is descended from the original Standard Eight 803 cc engine
produced as early as 1953.  I don't know if that is what
you were looking for, though.  I don't understand your reference to "type" in
this usage.  Or do you mean "A-Type"?