Re: How's this for anti-theft?

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: How's this for anti-theft?
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Nolan Penney wrote:

> Spitfires aren't big on the pro theft circuits.  So don't worry about it,
> and don't think you can even slow down a pro.  Many of them use a wrecker
> anyway, and it's just a matter of seconds to hook up to your car and haul
> it away.  By second, I mean about seven.  I think that's the average for
> the guys with the boom trucks.  Roll backs are a bit longer, something
> like 15 seconds.  The most you have then is your car going down the road
> on the back of a wrecker with the alarm chirping.  That doesn't garner
> any attention.

I always remember a commercial on Dutch TV whne I lived over there.  It
was sponsered by the Dutch Police and it featured an Officer int he front
talking about why it was not a good idea to leave a disabled car on the
side of the Autobahn for any length of time.  The commercial was the typical
~60 seconds and while he was talking int he foreground, in the background
they ran a film that had been made using "reformed" professional car
strippers.  The film was made at night using specila film as they wanted
it made without any extra lights.  During the 60 seconds the professional
strippers completely dismantled a Renault "Le Car" and loaded all of it
but the fram into a lorry and did all of this in the dark along the side
of the road with nothing more than the lorries headlights.  Shows just how
futile any means of protection are against real professional thieves.

> Be disconcertingly obvious.  As in make your car look like bait.  A
> Spitfire at the back of a parking lot, under a street light, top up,
> is normal and wouldn't worry a thief.  A Spitfire at the front of a
> mall, top down, open to god and everyone looks odd, suspiciously so.
> Hopefully enough so to cause a thief to pass it by.

But that's how mine is all the time.  I almost never put the top up
and unless I'm expecting rain I seldom take the time to put the tonneau
on either.  And yes, I have driven it in the rain with the top down as
well!!

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |