Re: Stuck -- need advice, please

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck -- need advice, please
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:37:31 -0400
At 12:37 PM 6/25/00 +0100, Graham Stretch wrote:

>Hi Jeff
>A three legged puller should do this without damage as it should be around a
>hand press fit! If it starts to need a lot of force to remove, you could try
>a tap (do not hit it hard) on the end of the puller draw bolt whilst there
>is some tension on it, this shock will often be sufficient to break free the
>flange.
>
>Graham.

Jeff, et al.

   The one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion, while obvious
many people don't think of it until someone tells them -  is that when you
use any puller, put the nut back on the shaft and screw it down at least
1/2 the thickness of the nut if not so the top of the nut is flush with the
end of the shaft.  This keeps the shaft from splitting!

I've seen axles split, and various other shafts split when someone tried to
remove something from them without the nut being on the shaft.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org