Replacing rear valance?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing rear valance?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 13:05:37 -0700
Happy holiday weekend, all.  I grew rather ambitious today and washed and
waxed both my Spitfire and Expedition.  I'll wipe the dried wax off Mrs.
Jones in a bit, but I'm going to have my 16-year old son buff the
Expedition.  That kid needs to learn some work ethics and besides, I've
already done the tough part!  Anyway, I digress.  As I was waxing the rear
valance on Mrs. J., the light pressure of my fingertip caused some paint to
crack.  The rear valance is 33 years original and the cars' history of
English and Chicago weather have caught up in a few spots.  The rear valance
is by far the worst piece on the entire car with an actual rust through spot
down below where it's deftly concealed from public scrutiny.

Here's the question:  Is the rear valance the easiest body panel to replace,
or what?  It certainly LOOKS like I could do it myself.  What's the
easiest/best way?  Take a Sawsall to it and cut as close to the side and
bottom seams as I can?  Then take a die grinder, spot weld remover and pry
bar and have at the remaining sheetmetal until I'm down to the lips of the
rear wings?  Then fit the new piece, TEMPORARILY steel pop rivet in place
(to hold it in position), then a few taps from a MIG welder, or what?  The
longer I own this car and the more projects I complete, the more emboldened
I'm becoming to start whacking away at the cancer myself, then take it to
the pros for the finishing touches and painting.  What say you?

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!