Re: Rear Hub and Brakes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Hub and Brakes
From: rfm@collectivecomputing.com (Reed)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:13:16 -0700
[...]
> What has anyone done about replacing the brake lines.  Do I take it to shop?
> Try to bend my own line?  Doe someone sell new lines?  Please I need
> help!!!!

If you are inclined to make your own lines, it's not that hard. I made
steel clutch, brake and fuel lines for my engine swapped car. The way
to do it is to rough out the shape you want with some easy to bend
material like coathanger or welding rod, then bend the lines to that
pattern. The key to bending the line without kinking it is to bend it
around something that has a few inch diameter round groove. You can buy
a tool for this, but the front pully of a datsun 210 motor worked just
fine for me ;-).
You probably can get a double flare tool at your local auto parts store
for under $20. Of course, if someone will sell you pre made lines
for your application, go for that instead.

PS: After about 6mo off the list, I'm back (actually, I've been
lurking for a couple of weeks). The spit 1600 is still
on the road and doing pretty well. It made the trip from Santa Cruz
CA to Benson AZ and back with only minor clutch trouble. Mileage is
uncertain, since I still haven't hooked up the speedo, but the one
section I did mesure was ~29 MPG at 4500-5000 rpm. Thats between 75-90
MPH in 5th, on AZ gas. Running 60 series tires makes spitefire gear
ratios really low. Anyone know of cheap 14" rims for a spit ? Or
a 6 speed trans for small RWD nissans ?

Happy spitting !
--
Reed Mideke                  rfm(at)collectivecomputing.com
If that doesn't work:        rfm(at)portalofevil.com