Re: trunnion bush lube?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trunnion bush lube?
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:13:40 EDT
I think Fred was originally talking about the bushes themselves, not
the internals of the trunnion.  I've never seen a recomendation either
way, but I always heavily grease the bushings when assembling them - to
me it seems good sense both to reduce wear as they move and to make
them easier to later dismantle.  I'm also a great proponent of
changing those bushings regularly, like every 10,000 miles, since
they are available separately from the kit for like $.50 each.
I've sawn through my share of through bolts with collapsed spacers and
would definetly like to avoid doing it again.

I wonder where you would put a zerk that would allow the grease to
spread throughout the entire bush?

As far as oil versus grease in the trunnion, it seems that the consensus
is that if the manual says oil, use oil.  But there are a lot of people
that use grease, myself included.  I've not had a problem in 19 years,
but mine is a daily driver, so the grease doesn't get the opportunity
to dry out, plus I give the trunnions a fresh shot of grease at least
several times a year.  YMMV.

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:47:53 -0400 "L&B Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>