RE: trunnion bush lube?

To: "'Fred Griffiths'" <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: trunnion bush lube?
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:41:51 +0100

Fred,
        I've owned one Herald (identical suspension) which had the rear
trunnion drilled and tapped with an extra grease nipple, which was
completely useless as you really need the grease between the steel tube and
the bolt which runs through it.         I have worked on some cars from the
50s (Standard 10 or Austin A35 - I don't remember which) that used a drilled
bolt with a nipple fitted into the head. Only the end of the bolt is
threaded to accept the nut, the main shaft I remember had a groove which was
connected to the main drilling by a single hole across the bolt. This would
be a good solution, but you'd need a specially produced bolt/pin, as I don't
think drilling out and weakening a standard item would be a good idea. It
might be worth investigating a similar solution, though I've found that
copious quantities of Copperslip on reassembly is enough to ensure long term
protection,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1961 Herald 1200 Coupé
 | |                  | |   1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
Join The Herald Mailing List at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/triumph_herald