Re: Help !

To: "Ken C" <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Help !
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:56:04 +0100
Hi Ken
There is an inherent problem with the Spits and related vehicles, the UJ's
are at their design load rating when stationary, though not in the same
direction as when you are driving, the combination of these forces tends to
make the yokes go oval, this is often accompanied by the associated cup
spinning in the yoke, did one of the old cups have a polished end where the
circlip was rubbing did any of the old cups come out easy or the new ones go
in easier than the others? Does the noise really bug you, you have two
options, turn up the radio / fit loud exhaust, or do the only thing that
will cure this and get New not replacement shafts. The problem with
replacement shafts is they could have this problem or it is not unheard of
for the needles in the wheel bearing to cut into the shaft. I took four
apart for my Herald to find one serviceable shaft and then found the yoke
was oval, I was able to check them myself and found it was the separate
flange not the one on the shaft so replaced it with a good one, luckily no
vibes after that! You can check these things for your self with a pillar
drill, vice (to hold yoke) and a dial test indicator (clock). If this is as
clear as mud, ask I will try to clarify!

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI