Re: Spitfire classes at shows

To: <FODFARTS@cs.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire classes at shows
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:54:31 -0400

Brad asked:

It
> seems that the Spitfires were divided into two categories, chrome bumper
and
> rubber bumper. That works just fine for MGBs and Midgets but I feel it
> doesn't quite cut it for Spits. They never really got a full rubber bumper
> like the MGB, did they? I feel maybe the class split should have been body
> style, separate the square-tails and round-tails. They are definitely two
> different body styles, similar but obviously different.

My experience has been that the classes vary depending on the number of cars
in attendance and in each "possible" class. (Maybe this is what they were
trying to do...afterall, a class of one doesn't make a whole lot of sense
either). Most frequent class divider in shows of a few hundred cars, seems
to be as you have suggested with round and square tails. OTOH, the British
Car Day at Bronte Park (near Oakville, Ontario) attracts over 1000 cars each
year and they usually have a single Spitfire class. The show I went to last
weekend attracted a little over 100 cars and they give out two
awards....Best of Show and President's Choice. My Spit was not only up
against GT6's, TR3's, 6's, 7's, and 8's; but also MGA's, Midgets, "B's" and
GT's; Jaguar's; Healey's; Mini's; Rover's; a Europa; a 20's Rolls Royce; a
Prefect (President's Choice) and an Aston Martin (Best of Show)!

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /       (and now a 74 Spitfire 1500)