Re: Spit hit...now what?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit hit...now what?
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:22:15 -0500
Bob --

Well, at least you lived to tell the tale.  That is far more
important than Algy, though I certainly understand the feeling in the
pit of your stomach right now.

Definitely get an estimate.  Talk to your own insurance agent first
thing in the morning and go over your options with him/her.

Remember a few things:

1) You're alive.

2) You did nothing wrong, and the other guy's insurance company is
going to pay up.

3) If they give you a low-ball estimate on the value of your car, you
*can* argue with them.  Find some photos of your car (before the
wreck), and get some people who have experience with the car to sign
statements that it was as you describe.  Then locate Spits in similar
condition for sale with prices that support your own price claim, and
offer them up as evidence.

4) They can, and will, give you the "totalled" dollar value of your
car in most states, and leave you with ownership of what's left.  If
you choose to, you can then invest the settlement check plus your own
money into fixing Algy, rather than replacing him.

4) Shop around on repair estimates; they'll vary.

6) You're alive.

I hope this is of some help!

Dan

Hey all:

>Out for a drive this evening, my spit got t-boned.....Someone entered
>the road from my left (through a stop sign) and managed to get up enough
>speed to destroy my spit.  (hit hard enough that the fire extinguisher
>went off).  Needless to say, I think my Spit (Algy was his name, God
>bless 'im) is done.  The car hit just forward of the driver door (right
>at the hood latch....must be some sort of target.)  So now, the drivers
>door doesn't open, the hood won't open, and the passanger door is
>buckled (and won't open).  (as well as the driver sill).  Actually, the
>car bent around the point of impact (and saved me).
>
>So, now what?  Get an estimate and repair it?  I suspect it will be
>totaled.  Anyone know a knowledgable body shop in Minnesota, (USA)?
>Whats a fella to do?  This is the only accident that I've ever been in.
>How do I make them fix my car?  Can I make them fix it?  Whats a rust
>free, new paint (3 yrs old) no dents, no dings, clean interior, no
>leaks, drive anywhere spit worth?  Where am I gonna find another?
>
>Worried Sick (I think I'm gonna cry),
>
>Bob Hill
>Maplewood, MN

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too.  In need of a
comprehensive restoration (again), but will have to wait its turn in
storage.

1957 TR3, TS15098L.  Needs an O.  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon.  179,500 miles.  Gets me to work and back
home again every day.  No home page. (go figure)

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!