Re: Header fit, banging against the Frame!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Header fit, banging against the Frame!
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:12:54 -0400
Nolan said:

>There are at least two different Monza/Pacesetter plants.  One in Europe I
>believe (Italy?), which does in fact
>make good quality equipment.  Another is in Brazil, and their stuff is
>trash.  The box it comes in is better then
>what's in the box.

Alas, this is true. I got one of the Brazilian units and
the pipes had not even been cut flush with the inside of
the flange that fits up to the head. I had to take it to
a machine shop and have all the finish work done - milling
the flange down smooth, re-making a few welds where someone
had made the initial tacks but not the full beads, and
stuff like that. The only cheerful news is that the machinist
was a buddy and took a case of beer as payment.

This kind of stuff really irritates me, as the QC problems
should have been evident to anyone who took the time to
look. The only reason I didn't send it back was because
I figured that would be even more trouble.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC