paint

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: paint
From: "John & Tracy Knox" <jknox@erie.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:44:12 -0400
Fellow listers,

A few years ago a friend of mine was repainting his TR7.  All he had was the
color name and at that time there were very few places supplying parts.  He
went to Pittsburgh to a paint library (perhaps at PPG?).  I remember him
telling me they had millions of samples of paint and a full time librarian.
They found the correct green for the car, and then cross matched it to a
green that was being used on some type of machinery, and he had his paint
code.  It was not exact but it was so close you couldn't tell.  I wish I
remembered more about how he did it.  I have also seen paint cans that have
been mixed in the spray can.  We used to order some like this in the boat
plant where I worked for repair on older boats.  We would order the paint
and it would come in a spray can like any other with a hand filled out label
on the can with the color.  It was our own tan color, so I can't imagine it
would be anyone's standard paint.

John