Spitfire cam bearings

To: spitlist@gte.net, kristjag@EM.AGR.CA
Subject: Spitfire cam bearings
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:00:32 EST
In a message dated 11/3/2000 10:33:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spitlist@gte.net writes:

> Let me weigh in on the side of cam bearings "even if the surfaces are in
top
> notch condition.

My understanding is that the cam bores in the block are the same diameter for
the 1147, 1296 and 1500 engines.  The later engines deleted bearings by
increasing the diameter of the cam to make up for the lack of bearings.

So you can install bearings without modifying the block bore and order or
insert an early (small journal) cam.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong...

Clark

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)