Re: Rollbar - any pics or comments on the use of,

To: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>,
Subject: Re: Rollbar - any pics or comments on the use of,
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 07:02:30 -0800
Doug,

You can probably find a dozen or more rollbar Spitfire photos here:

http://www.ohms.com/spitfires/spitshots.html

Here are a few examples:

http://www.ohms.com/spitfires/joecurry10.jpg
http://www.ohms.com/spitfires/mymk3i.jpg
http://www.ohms.com/spitfires/mymk3j.jpg
http://www.ohms.com/spitfires/mymk3q.jpg

Problems: Most will limit seat travel slightly and/or may interfere with
soft top operation.

I installed -- and subsequently removed -- my rollbar after the bar chaffed
my newly upholstered seats and I came to the realization that the top of my
head was just slightly taller than the top of the rollbar.  My feeling was
that I am more likely to crack my head against the bar than roll the car.  I
still have mixed feeling about this decision, though.  I prefer the way my
car looks without it , but I don't think it looked bad with it on, either.

My original motivation before installing was the extra measure of safety it
afforded my kids -- but they really don't ride in the car with me very much.

Good luck with your decision.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!