RE: warning light and alternator

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Subject: RE: warning light and alternator
From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:13:49 -0800 (PST)
Michael,
  My '76 Spit is the same way with the GM alternator.
The warning light never comes on.

  The warning light gets power from the battery and
comes on (or should) when you turn the key to the II
position.

  The brown/yellow wire completes the circuit from the
light to ground through the alternator. So long as the
alternator is NOT charging, that circuit stays closed.
If the alternator starts producing voltage, the
circuit opens up the light goes out.

  You can test it by pulling the alt-warning light
from the speedo housing, and touching it to a ground
source while the engine is in accessory or ignition
position (even with engine running, since you're
bypassing the alternator's regulator) and it should
light-up.

Or to test the whole circuit, (with the key still on
the on position) pull the brown/yellow wire (THE SMALL
ONE!!) from the back of the alternator, and using an
alligator clip and a piece of wire, or if it will
reach on it's own, touch it to the block or the frame.
The bulb should light up.  If it doesn't, you have a
problem somewhere else in the circuit.

Goodluck with yours,
-Terry

--- "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>