Re: warning light and alternator

To: goalie_john <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: warning light and alternator
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2000 11:07:31 -0600
Very easy to fit.  Two screws hold it to the bulkhead.  There is a push-on
 spade connector each side to connect the LT side, and the HT lead is just a
 push fit onto the terminal in the middle.  It makes replacing the alternator
 look like a major undertaking.

You should be able to find a replacement for 15-odd quid at Halfords or any
 motor factors.  How you tell whether the old one is shot, I am less sure.
 Probably a process of elimination - check all the other parts of the ignition
 circuit, if they are all fine then your problem may be the coil.

First check your points gap, and the quality of the contact surfaces.  Then
 check your vacuum advance.  Then check your distributor cap for cracks or
 signs of leaking HT current.  Then check your timing - dynamically if you have
 (access to) a timing gun, otherwise statically.  Then start replacing bits -
 points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads, spark plugs, coil.
 The first 4 of these are so easy and cheap to replace (10 quid for the lot, at
 any Halfords or motor factor), I tend to replace them automatically as soon as
 an electrical malady is suspected, and then start the more detailed detective
 work.  The other 3 parts aren't much more expensive, you could probably
 replace the whole lot for well under 50 quid, and that is with some snazzy
 spark plugs.

If you are not sure of any of these checks, or are don't know your way around
 your distributor that well (I guess by the fact that you don't know what your
 coil looks like that this is an area of mystery to you!), give me a yell and
 I'll describe the checks in a little more detail.

Richard