Re: Engine Rebuild

To: Cwn74@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:41:17 -0700
Clark,
Can you say "Grenade"?  That is what the 1500 engine becomes when you rev it
very high for extended periods.  The 1296 is almost square
which leads to a much greater reliability at higher rpm levels.  ANd the small
journal version (Mk3) has less drag caused by the
bearings.  Kas Kastner himself will tell you that the Mk3 engine was the
strongest one of the bunch.

However, there is no doubt that the 1500 has more torque and if kept in the
proper rpm range, it will hold together and give pretty
reliable operation.  In a street car it is a good motor, but give me a small
journal 1296 in a race car any day!

Joe

P.S. The Spitfire was national F-Production Champion in '69 and '70 with guess
which engine?