RE: Engine Rebuild

To: "'Vic Whitmore'" <vicwhit@home.com>, "Larry Elswick"
Subject: RE: Engine Rebuild
From: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:53:39 -0500
Larry,

I too haven't seen much in response.

Here's what I did to my 1500 Midget, which seems to be working well for me.

+0.030 Flat Top Hepolite Pistons
285 Piper Cam Advanced 4 degrees via TR6 Double Chain Vernier Gear Set
Pinned Thrust Washer (some people fit MGB thrust washers)
Balanced Rotating Mass (crank, pistons, rods, pressure plate, flywheel, and
pulley)
Oil Cooler
GM 63 amp alternator
Lucas 25D4 points dizzy (eventual upgrade to Mallory dual point)
Ported, skimmed, and intake matched head.
        (no chamber work, and not polished too smoothly.  I can't remember
if I
         read it in Vizard, or the BL competition manual, but someone did
not
         recommend polishing this head, other than removing all the burrs
and
         casting imperfections.  Make nice big D shaped pockets under the
valves
         for better puffing action.  Standard valves)
Dual Valve Springs to eliminate possible lifter bounce.
4-2-1 Exhaust header, mild steel (the 4-1 is best at high RPM, the 4-2-1 has
a bigger range)
Monza free flow.  Dual exhaust may be hurting your exhaust suction...
forget the term...
Dual HS4s with CapStat jets
'74 water pump with no clutch and a '74 fan
Backup 10" electric pushing fan
3 row louvered radiator 1/2" thicker than stock for a Midget.  You may be
able to fit
        a 3 row staggered in the Spit, which is better.  Transfer tubes are
3/8", I believe.
Skimmed block (not too much)
Standard studs (I didn't use the ARP studs I purchased.  Still have them,
though)
Bored out main oil galleries and high capacity oil pump.  Shimmed oil
pressure relief valve.
        Currently running 90 lbs cold and 25-30 lbs hot oil pressure.
Some people retrofit cam bearing from a 1296 cam.  Might be a good idea, if
cash is no object.

For tuning purposes,  I purchased a Air/Fuel Ratio gauge,  but haven't
installed it yet.  A definite must if you plan on screwing around with your
needles.  Out there somewhere in the archives is the link to the SU needle
program which references different needle profiles to needle codes.

You can always add a supercharger, and nitrous....  Seems a bit much for me.
When all is said and done,  the Corrolla next to you will probably beat you
in the next street light race anyway.  I thoroughly enjoy the added power in
my Midget,  but recognize it's limitations.  I also try not to race it at
the street lights.  I spend too much on the rebuild to risk damaging it.

Michael