Re: Leaking Oil behind the head

To: Greg Schluge <gschluge@cstone.net>,
Subject: Re: Leaking Oil behind the head
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 12:31:59 -0500
Hi Greg,

I solved a problem similar to this with my 1500. If mine is the same as yours,
the leak appears from the rear left side corner. That is the point nearest where
the oil passage comes up through the block from the oil pump and into the head.

My solution may go against the grain of the engine purists, but it was passed on
to me and it works for me. Never had a leak since.

Get a new head gasket.
Remove the head and old gasket.
Clean both mating surfaces.
Smear a very small amount of copper silicon sealant (the high temp stuff) around
the passage hole on both sides of the gasket. You only need a smear as it will
spread out under pressure to seal the area around the passage.
Install the gasket and head and torque it up as normal.
Run the engine up to full operating temp and then re-torque.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario

http://www.vicwhit.com