RE: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:42:14 -0000
James,

Firstly, bad luck on the ticket thing!!  That was a pretty mean and dirty
trick, I would say.

I sympathise with the never-seeing-another-Spit thing.  I too drive my
Spitfire year-round, and can easily go 6 months over the winter without
seeing another.  It will get better in the summer, I'm sure!  Even so, when
I drove an MG I would expect to see at least 1 or 2 a week in the summer,
and I haven't had nearly that many Triumphs, of any sort (well, excluding
Acclaims, who mostly don't seem to be into the 'Triumph Camaraderie' thing).

You say your starter is not engaging?  Does that mean it is spinning, but
not connecting with the engine?  If so, it may just need removing and the
shaft getting some lubrication, so the pinion can slide up and down easily.
The hit-it-with-a-hammer trick is only really valid for solonoid-engaged
starters (I had to do that with the MG for a while), it doesn't apply to
inertia-engaged starters.

I'd go with the number plate on the bonnet - I reckon it looks pretty cool,
and plenty of old cars (and even some MX5s) seem to get away with it - it's
not such a sin as those number plates in highly dodgy scripts, at least!

Keep pushing that cheap-insurance button with your friends - it's great for
winding them up, and the younger you are the better it works!  If that
starts sounding tired, try them with parts prices - I remember getting my
S/S exhaust system for around 100 quid 2 weeks after my friend paid 250 for
a mild steel one for his Honda CRX...

Richard
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email