Re: RIP Speedvision

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RIP Speedvision
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:18:19 -0800 (PST)
Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see Speedvision become
'the NASCAR channel', but there's a whole lot more to
NASCAR racing than meets the eye.
NASCAR has some of the most sophisticated teams and
skilled drivers on the planet. Period.
True, it's rather specialized, but that specialization
results in victory being decided by the most subtle
nuances, in engine preparation, in suspension tuning,
in driver skills and technique, and in team tactics.
Consider herding a 3000 lb racecar at 200 MPH around a
banked track, in a continuous 4 wheel drift, for 500
miles, surrounded by 20-30 other drivers that don't
mind 'a little bangin' around'. Now, do it every
weekend for 35 odd weeks.
It *looks* easy on TV, but it'not.
Mind you, I prefer BTCC, or Speedvision Cup, but that
does not mean that I cannot also appreciate yhe
nuances of another form of racing.

Carter Shore