Brake/Clutch fluid

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake/Clutch fluid
From: Marc Anger <marcanger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:46:55 +0100
Hello listers,

Well that was a nice WE. First dip in the sea (still quite cold, but
great moral booster), and a barbecue with good friends and good
wine... But every silver lining has its cloud.
1) Call me Homer, but last time I used Decibel I decided for some
obscure reason to leave the boot open. And the boot light works
(although you can hardly see it in the sun, as you well know). 2
weeks later (I was in France last WE), the battery was flat. Doh!
2) I had some clues something was not quite right before, but
couldn't identify it. This time I have: Clutch Master cylinder empty.
And this is where I need your experience.
a) I do not know what the PO used (DOT3, 4 or 5). Is there one I can
use to top up and bleed or do I have to change it all.
b) In the event of the latter, which should I use? Owner's handbook
says DOT 3, but I know some of you have a different opinion. And
would silicone be a good idea?
Waiting for your advice(s) before going to Halford (BTW, if this is a
plc, I might decide to buy some stocks... Have a feeling that with my
custom they are likely to get a boost)
Thanks in advance

Marc and Decibel (79 spit in case that matters for the answer)