Re: Brake/Clutch fluid

To: richard.gosling@exprogroup.com
Subject: Re: Brake/Clutch fluid
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:23:41 +0100

[SNIP]

> If you switch to DOT5 silicone fluid (NOT the same as the DOT5.1 stuff you
> sometimes see, not sure what that is), many believe that this needs
> to be

5.1 is to 4 as 4 is to 3; it is NOT silicone.  (I'll never understand
  why they didn't call it 4.1 or something _logical_)

> done in conjunction with a rebuild of all your brake parts, replacing every
> bit of rubber in the system, or the rubber may perish.  There are some who
> say that they have done just fine by flushing all the old fluid out of the
> system using 'mineral spirits' (I guess that may be American for White
> Spirit??), and filling with silicone fluid, without replacing
> anything.

NONONONO!  don't use mineral spirits (that stuff will rot the rubber)
use "methylated spirits" which is denatured alcohol this side of the
pond.

Though silicone is claimed to be less compressible, my experience is
that if you pour _very_ carefully so as to not entrain any air, it is
as stiff as any non-silicone product.  I pour down the side of a
plastic tube so the fluid doesn't splash at all.

> Also, Silicone fluid is significantly more expensive than normal brake
> fluid!  It does have its advantages - spills won't eat through your
> paintwork, it will not absorb water which leads to corrosion of brake pipes
> (unless they've been replaced with copper), it needs bleeding less often.
> As for brake feel, opinions differ - I think Silicone is less compressible,
> which means brakes will come on more suddenly, and the brake will move less
> between the slightly-applied position and full-on position - some prefer
> this, some don't!

HTH
Donald.