RE: Brake/Clutch fluid

To: "'j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: Brake/Clutch fluid
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:10:29 +0100
No, James, topping up with normal brake fluid if the system is currently
full of silicone was not a good thing to do!!

I have a feeling you may need to clear out ALL the fluid in the system at
the moment, and re-fill with fresh silicone.  Which isn't as cheap as normal
fluid.

I'd suggest getting an Eezi-bleed kit (available at Halfords, amongst other
places).  This allows you to connect your spare tyre (well, I always just
used the front tyre 'cause I had a compressor handy to re-inflate
afterwards) to the brake master cylinder - the pressure forces the fluid
down the pipes when you loosen a bleed nipple, and so this will probably be
the easiest way to clear the pipes out completely.  It also makes normal
bleeding a much quicker and easier job.

Having said all that, the Rimmers catalogue states "If silicone brake fluid
becomes mixed with normal Glycol fluid, they will work safely, as they both
have to if they are to be classified as DOT fluids."  So, that's as much as
I know, what you do is up to you!!

Nothing wrong with the copper pipes though, as far as I know - at least they
are not vulnerable to corrosion like the originals.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email