Re: Calling all electricians...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Calling all electricians...
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:44:09 -0800
At 12:30 PM 3/20/03 -0800, Jeff McNeal wrote:

>Turns out, these replacement relays by Lucas, which are supposed to be
>direct replacements to the original horn relays, are not.  They do not
>give good instructions, and they also require a positive 12v feed to TWO
>terminals on the relay, instead of just one, which is all we get off the
>wiring harness for the horn relay.  This means I have to fashion a "Y" out
>of a short length of wire with connectors to split the 12v source across
>the two leads that requires it.  One activates the relay solenoid, the
>other supplies the voltage to the horns.  It's a goofy setup.  But at
>least the horns will work.  Time to heat up the soldering iron.

That's not unusual at all in relay design.  Often you have a control set of
voltages and current running the relay that is isolated from the current
being run through the contacts.  Low voltage powering the relay that
controls high voltage on the contacts, that sort of thing.  Some cheaper
relays for automotive use will make an internal connection between the 12
vdc in and one contact in the relay which removes one terminal from the
case, but it also removes some of the potential use in other applications.

-Vegaman Dan