RE: the incredible imploding glass

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: the incredible imploding glass
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:05:49 +0100
I tend to agree with Mike - the weather just doesn't get hot enough here to
shatter a screen, at least not one that isn't already seriously flawed or
stressed.  But I'm at a loss to come up with another convincing theory...

I had no idea tinted windscreens were available for the Spitfire!  Originals
are clear, I'm sure.  Autoglass do know that your MkIII has a different
screen to the MkIV/1500 don't they??

Ah, just checked Rimmers website, and they sell clear and tinted (both for
round- and square-tail), although the tinted is #22 more.

The advantage of tinted glass is to reduce the glare of the sun in your eyes
- but in a Spit, particularly if you are tall (like me), the sun shines in
your eyes from over the top of the screen anyway, so the tinting doesn't
help much!

Richard & Daffy

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.